Would you like to dissolve a group on Messenger after it has served its purpose? You have come to the right place. Here, we have explained how to delete a group chat on Messenger.
Deleting a Messenger group chat is easy and straightforward. You are only required to at first, remove everyone from the group. When you are done removing everyone from the group, then you can leave too.
When you leave a Messenger group chat as the last participant in the group, the group will be deleted permanently.
- How to Create a Group Chat on Messenger
- Learn to Recover Deleted Messages on Messenger
- How to Change Chat Background or Theme on Messenger
However, if you leave a Facebook Messenger group without removing everyone, the chat won’t be deleted even though you have ceased to be a participant. Hence, the members left in the group will be able to leave messages and read messages from others in the group.
In addition, the administrator role will be automatically assigned to another group member. So, to effectively delete a group, simply remove everyone from the group first and leave the group as the last participant.
Removing group members is the only possible option to delete groups on Messenger in four steps.
Below, we have explained in detail, how to delete a group chat on Messenger.
How to Delete a Group Chat on Messenger
- Launch your Facebook Messenger app on your mobile device and enter your login details, if required. On the chat screen, locate the group you want to delete. Tap on the group name to enter the group.
- From the group chat screen, tap on the Members option to see the people in the group. From the list of members, select one at a time by tapping on their name. This will open their profile tab.
- On the profile tab, select the Remove From Group option and the user will be completely removed from the chat. Now, repeat this for every group member till you are the only participant left.
- Now, go to the member's list and tap your name to see your profile. Once your profile page opens, select Leave Conversation and your account too will be removed from the chat. Hence, the group will be deleted in the absence of any member.
Kindly note that neither the Messenger app nor the website provides an option to remove members of a group chat in bulk. You have to do it one after the other and repeat it for every member.
Also, do not leave the group until you have removed everyone. Otherwise, you will get a pop-up message informing you to choose a new admin.
The message reads:
“You can choose a new admin from the people listed under Members. If you leave the group without choosing a new admin, the most senior group member will become the admin”.
However, if you get the message even after removing everyone from the group, simply ignore the message. Also, once you leave the group chat, you will no longer find it on your chat screen.
- How to Delete Your Telegram Account
- What Does Chupagetti Mean on TikTok?
- Fix Messenger Update Not Showing on Instagram
Found this post helpful? Please, endeavour to share the post and engage!